For a while, it looked like Russia A women’s team may face its first monumental defeat in this Olympiad. Kosteniuk lost with white on board 3 against Stojanovic, rated 2337, after Gunina quickly won on board 4. This gave Serbia a 1.5-1.5 tie with one game to go on board 2. Nadezhda’s position was not looking good. But one tragic move by her opponent turned everything around. Not only she was able to hold, she went on to win to give Russia A team the sure gold medal.
1. Kosintseva, Tatiana ½-½ Bojkovic, Natasa
2. Kosintseva, Nadezhda 1-0 Chelushkina, Irina
3. Kosteniuk, Alexandra 0-1 Stojanovic, Andjelija
4. Gunina, Valentina 1-0 Eric, Jovana
Georgia edged Russia B 2.5 – 1.5 to keep the Silver medal hope alive.
1. Dzagnidze, Nana 1-0 Pogonina, Natalija
2. Javakhishvili, Lela ½-½ Girya, Olga
3. Melia, Salome 1-0 Savina, Anastasia
4. Khotenashvili, Bela 0-1 Kashlinskaya, Alina
China defeated Hungary 3 – 1 to keep pace with Georgia.
1. Hoang, Thanh Trang ½-½ Hou, Yifan
2. Madl, Ildiko 0-1 Ju, Wenjun
3. Vajda, Szidonia 0-1 Zhao, Xue
4. Gara, Ticia ½-½ Huang, Qian
Ukrained crushed Croatia 3.5 – 0.5 to continue the medal chase.
1. Zhukova, Natalia ½-½ Golubenko, Valentina
2. Ushenina, Anna 1-0 Medic, Mirjana
3. Gaponenko, Inna 1-0 Franciskovic, Borka
4. Muzychuk, Mariya 1-0 Solic, Kristina
India is hanging on to medal hope with a 2.5 – 1.5 win over Cuba.
1. Ordaz Valdes, Lisandra Teresa ½-½ Tania, Sachdev
2. Linares Napoles, Oleiny 0-1 Karavade, Eesha
3. Marrero Lopez, Yaniet ½-½ Meenakshi, Subbaraman
4. Arribas Robaina, Maritza ½-½ Mohota, Nisha
Bulgaria is doing the same with a convincing 3 – 1 win over Romania.
1. Stefanova, Antoaneta 1-0 Foisor, Cristina-Adela
2. Voiska, Margarita 1-0 Cosma, Elena-Luminita
3. Nikolova, Adriana ½-½ Voicu-Jagodzinsky, Carmen
4. Videnova, Iva ½-½ L’Ami, Alina
Full results here: http://www.ugra-chess.com/results.php?tmnt=2&rn=9
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar