Beating The Scandinavian Defense – Beginner Chess Openings
Posted on December 28, 2011 by William in Beginner’s Corner, Chess Openings, Strategy & Game Review
The Scandinavian Defense is a common beginner chess opening, allowing black to immediately challenge white’s center and activate his queen. However, I believe white is able to generate very dangerous threats very early in the opening if he plays very actively and with a clear plan. In this article I will be examining the main line of the Scandinavian Defense with 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qa5. There are other principal continuations […]
Reasons Chess Should Be a Part of Every Child’s Education
Posted on February 3, 2012 by Laura in General Chess Articles
Imagine a world where people all have excellent problem solving skills, where they are patient and respectful of each other on a daily basis. A society where citizens live for the future and plan long term, thinking of where their children’s children will be, following through, seeing each goal to its conclusion with ease. Now add to that an indefinable quality of artistic imagination, dreaming for more than can be reasonably expected, reaching beyond […]
Chess Improvement: Developing a Disciplined Routine
Posted on February 2, 2012 by William in Beginner’s Corner, General Chess Articles
Mikhail Botvinnik led the Soviet School of Chess for decades in the early 20th center, developing a brilliant method of chess training that revolutionized the approach to improvement in chess. Botvinnik was a 3-time World Chess Champion (1948–57, 1958–60, 1961–63) with a Ph.D and distinguished career in electrical engineering. Botvinnik was also a pioneer in the field of human chess, and in the 1950s and 1960s he developed an algorithm that enabled a computer to […]
- February 1, 2012 – Ekaterina Kovalevskaya vs Nadezhda Kosintseva – 2007 Russian …
- January 31, 2012 – How to Double Your Chess Performance?
- January 30, 2012 – Jim West On Chess: Publishing Decades of Experience
- January 29, 2012 – Tata Steel 2012: Aronian Wins!
- January 28, 2012 – Family bonding through chess
- January 26, 2012 – Goddesschess.com: Pushing Female Chess to New Heights!
- January 25, 2012 – Beginner Chess Psychology: Playing To Win
- January 24, 2012 – Grandmaster Interview Series with GM Yuri Drozdovskij
- January 24, 2012 – Chess Training: Refine Your Approach!
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar