Dear Dr. Mikhail Korenman and IM Blas Lugo,
In supporting your candidacy for the current USCF Executive Board election, we would like to share our great concern regarding the current status of the US Chess Federation and the direction it is moving. We hope that when elected you can help USCF leadership to follow the mission of the organization and provide the adequate service to its members. Here are some areas of concern:
1. “USCF is a not-for-profit membership organization devoted to extending the role of chess in American society.”
As members of the USCF, we do not support the governance body spending hundreds of thousands of membership dollars for legal fees to cover up political mistakes mismanaging this wonderful organization! Such has taken away potential sponsors for the organization, and negative media coverage is not supporting the positive role of chess. Current leadership has not been able to offer new or sound ideas in a long time. We feel that it is time to involve people who understand these deep problems and can offer real positive solutions.
2. “USCF promotes the study and knowledge of the game of chess, for its own sake as an art and enjoyment, but also as a means for the improvement of society. It informs, educates, and fosters the development of players (professional and amateur) and potential players. It encourages the development of a network of institutions devoted to enhancing the growth of chess, from local clubs to state and regional associations, and it promotes chess in American schools.”
It is our understanding that the USCF membership is declining rapidly, especially adult membership. There are no new networks or events being organized by this organization. There is very poor, if any, relationship between the national organization and state affiliates. This situation has to be changed immediately! USCF should support the young players to grow professionally, providing more services, and support though organizing many more educational and training activities.
3. “USCF offers a monthly magazine, as well as targeted publications to its members and others. It supervises the organization of the U.S. chess championship, an open tournament every summer, and other national events.”
We are extremely concerned about cutting the Chess Life and canceling the Chess for Kids publication completely. After 70 years as a successful publication, Chess Life is in a real dangerous situation to be shut down. Of course, a big concern for us is the US championship. The rules are changing nearly every year. The system has to be changed and the rules must be set far in advanced!
4. “USCF serves as the governing body for chess in the United States and as a participant in international chess organizations and projects.”
USCF should re-establish its relationship with FIDE. There has not been any official FIDE event in the US for the last 10 years! USCF should support all organizers who are planning to organize international chess events in the United States! It is worse when the USCF management is working against organizers who want to help our players.
Former U.S. Champions GM Onischuk and GM Shulman
Support for Executive Board Candidacy
· GM Anatoly Karpov, 7-time World Champion: “I am very impressed with the tremendous progress and development of the chess programs by Mikhail Korenman over the years. He has done so much for chess.”
· IM John Donaldson, Captain – US Olympiad Teams: “I believe Mikhail has the leadership ability, energy, and vision to help the USCF out of its current problems.”
· GM Alexander Onischuk, 2007 U.S. Champion: “Dr. Korenman understands professional, amateur, and scholastic chess. He’ll be a big asset for the USCF EB.”
· GM Yury Shulman, 2008 U.S. Champion: “Scholastic chess program, organized by Mikhail, involve a lot of kids in Kansas and now in Illinois.”
· IM Anna Zatonskih, 2008 U.S. Women’s Champion: “Mikhail Korenman is an excellent organizer and dedicated chess enthusiast. He does a lot for popularity of chess in the U.S.”
· Wes Fisk, Lindsborg, KS, City Council: “Mikhail has worked tirelessly on the behalf of chess and chess players. He is a visionary, who thinks outside the box”
Support for the election was also received by U.S. Champions Onischuk, Shulman, Zatonskih, Goletiani; Grandmasters Akobian, Kaidanov, Ehlvest, Ibragimov, Stripunsky, Khachiyan, Perelsteyn, Goldin, International Masters Donaldson, Shneider, etc.
Dr. Mikhail Korenman
Vice-President, Illinois Chess Association
President, International School of Chess
National media on Dr. Korenman’s chess achievements:
“I am grateful for your hard work to promote peace.” – Letter from former U.S. President Jimmy Carter
“In recent years Lindsborg has witnessed a minor revolution in self-identity, and one man is largely responsible for the shift: Mikhail Korenman has made this town crazy for the game of chess.” – National Geographic magazine
“Mr. Korenman’s enthusiasm, imagination and web of contacts have been crucial to the burgeoning appeal of chess here” – The New York Times
“In the United States, Korenman has built an impressive résumé as competitor, teacher and tournament organizer” – The Star
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar