BU XIANGZHI: EVERY TIME I AM DOING BETTER AND BETTER IN KHANTY MANSIYSK
The only Chinese Grandmaster who managed to go till 1/8 of the finals admitted that in general he is satisfied with his performance.
– Even despite the loss against Ivanchuk at the tie breaks, I anyway think that I was playing adequately. As a matter of fact I have good recollections from the tournament. It is not the first time the World Cup is organized here. One can see that the organizers have a big experience; everything goes on a very high level. I like being in Khanty Mansiysk, I like the city and the venue. The weather is perfect this time. This is my fourth time at the World Cup and now the result is the highest I have ever had. Every time I am doing better and better here.
– What helped you to perform successfully this time?
– I think that luck was on my side. Also I was lucky with my pairings: in the third Round I played against Gupta whose rating is much lower than mine. Lately I was participating in many tournaments. After the second round I was the one from the Chinese team to qualify further. My teammates did participate in the Universiade, in the World Team Championship, while I did not. I even seemed to predict how long I will be here — I bought my ticket on 9th and I don’t have to change it.
– Are you upset that all the rest left? Does anyone help you — via Internet for example?
– Those who could help me do not have time. But my friends support me psychologically.
– What do you do apart from chess?
– Chess is my job; I play chess on a professional level. Besides I like music, sport — basketball for instance.
– What do you strive for in your profession?
– To reach 2700
– What is your next tournament?
– I am planning to participate in the Open tournament in China.
– Good luck and see you in Khanty Mansiysk!
Official website: http://chess.ugrasport.com
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar