The Chinese Ju Wenjun quickly defeated Atousa Pourkashiyan from Iran in the first game, and shared her secret at the press-conference.
– This was a very easy game for me. White’s position after 19…Rf7 was more pleasant, but when we approached the time trouble, my opponent turned out completely unprepared for it. I was lucky to win very quickly.
– Have you played with Atousa before?
– Yes, we played a few games, and the score was +1 in her favor, so today I tied it.
– You playing schedule has been very tense recently. Do you have any time to relax?
– I participated in a tournament right before the World Championship, but it did not affect my game. I think practice is a perfect preparation to the forthcoming events. As a professional chess player I just follow my schedule and relax between tournaments as much as possible.
– You’ve been in Russia a few times – in Moscow, St. Petersburg, and here. Where did you like best?
– Moscow and St. Petersburg are very beautiful. Khanty-Mansiysk is also a pleasant place, I enjoy being here.
– How did you like the opening ceremony yesterday?
– The show was very action-packed with many interesting performances. I especially liked the magician, dancers and the singer.
– Your compatriot Hou Yifan participated in the World Cup in Khanty-Mansiysk, playing against men. Have you ever played in such tournaments?
– Unfortunately, I never played against men in similarly strong events, but I would like to try it if the opportunity arises. One can gain a lot of experience playing with men.
– Many players have their good luck charms, like lucky pen or shirt. What about you?
– Frankly speaking, I am not superstitious and have no lucky charms. The most important thing for me is to feel the support of my friends.
Official website: http://chess2012.ugrasport.com
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar