October 3, 2015
Dear Millionaire Chess participant:
We know you are ready and raring to go to play in the 2nd Millionaire Chess Open. With the action set to start in a few days, I don’t doubt some of you have probably already packed your bags! Please read the following for last minute notes and instructions that you certainly want to know:
1. Urgent reminder: All players must register at our registration desk before playing their first round. Registration will begin at 6:00pm for players with their last name beginning from A-H, 6:30pm for players with their last names beginning I-P, and 7:00pm for those beginning Q-Z. Please be sure to bring a valid form of government identification with you, whether it be a driver’s license, passport or other official picture ID. Note that we will take a headshot of you at registration as a record of your identity as well as provide you with a special Electronic Tournament Management System (ETMS) wristband that you will use throughout the tournament for identification purposes, finding out your pairings, and inputting the result of your games. For more on ETMS, go here.
If you will be arriving the next day (or Friday for the 4 day schedule), then you must still register at the registration desk before your game. Do not risk being stopped at the Security Station for trying to enter without a wristband.
2. Please attend our Pool Party at Planet Hollywood on October 7th from 8:00-10:00pm for a night of fun and relaxation. The festivities will feature hors d’oeuvres, drink and music, and no doubt there will be lots of blitz and lots of trash-talking. It will be a great way to unwind before the tension gets ratcheted up the next day.
3. You are welcome to attend the Opening Breakfast from 8:30am-10:00am the morning of October 8th. There will be a complimentary buffet sit-down breakfast as well as special announcements and prizes.
There will be second breakfast held on October 9th for everyone in the 4-day schedule that will also last from 8:30am-10:00am. If you have not already done so, please RSVP within the next 24 hours.
Note that family members and friends can pay $52 (the cost we are paying the hotel for each player’s meal) in order to join you for breakfast. Please email Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP and take care of payment.
4. Right after the breakfast, we will be rolling out the red carpet and taking photos of you at our Step and Repeat wall. You will want to look sharp for these photos as your family and friends will get a chance to see you shining at the event in style. As a reminder, we will also be giving away a Daily Best Dressed prize for the player decked out in the most stylish ensemble. The prize will be a cool $100 each day for the Best Male, Best Female or Best Child under 18. The winners will be announced and their photos displayed on site and during the Livestream broadcast.
5. Please be sure to review our Tournament Policies. Our Tournament Directors, who will be the final arbiters in all decisions, will strictly enforce all these rules. Please pay special attention to the No Electronic Devices section as the Millionaire Chess Open will be an electronics free event. Anyone who breaks one of these rules risks being forfeited a game or, even worse, being removed from the event. We clearly do not wish to ruin a trip for which you made a healthy investment, so please be very clear on all the rules and procedures that you are expected to follow.
6. The first round starts on Thursday, October 8th at 12:00pm sharp. Please make a point to be in the tournament hall by 11:30am. You will have to go through our security checkpoint, so best leave as much of your electronics as possible in your hotel room. There will be a check-in station for cell phones, cameras and other electronic devices. Being 30 minutes late to the round will result in a forfeit of the game.
7. Finally, we are looking to showcase your talent and personality to the world. To that end, the broadcast team will seek to interview players all throughout the event to get your feelings, quotes and personal stories. Please make yourself accessible to the crew whenever possible; it is incredibly important for the step we are all taking to make chess into a true televisual sport. Your cooperation is very much appreciated.
If you have any last minute questions about anything that relates to the tournament, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com. See you soon!
The MC Team
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar