Mamedyarov handed Ivanchuk his first loss in this Olympiad! But it was not enough to stop the Ukrainian chess machine. Eljanov and Efimenko won on board 3 and 4 to give Ukraine a 2.5 – 1.5 victory over Azerbaijan.
1. Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar 1-0 Ivanchuk, Vassily
2. Radjabov, Teimour ½-½ Ponomariov, Ruslan
3. Mamedov, Rauf 0-1 Eljanov, Pavel
4. Safarli, Eltaj View Efimenko, Zahar
Russia A team still has their gold medal hope by beating the defending champs Armenia 2.5 – 1.5. Svidler is the hero of the day for Russia A.
1. Aronian, Levon ½-½ Kramnik, Vladimir
2. Akopian, Vladimir ½-½ Grischuk, Alexander
3. Sargissian, Gabriel 0-1 Svidler, Peter
4. Pashikian, Arman ½-½ Karjakin, Sergey
Feller once again provides France the important win to knockout the pesky Georgian team by the score of 2.5 – 1.5.
1. Jobava, Baadur ½-½ Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime
2. Mchedlishvili, Mikheil ½-½ Fressinet, Laurent
3. Pantsulaia, Levan ½-½ Tkachiev, Vladislav
4. Gelashvili, Tamaz 0-1 Feller, Sebastien
Judit avoided a draw to go all out for the win. But a blunder did her in.
1. Gelfand, Boris ½-½ Leko, Peter
2. Smirin, Ilia View Polgar, Judit
3. Rodshtein, Maxim ½-½ Berkes, Ferenc
4. Mikhalevski, Victor ½-½ Balogh, Csaba
Wang Hao scored the lone victory on board 2 to give China an important win against Cuba.
1. Dominguez Perez, Leinier ½-½ Wang, Yue
2. Bruzon Batista, Lazaro 0-1 Wang, Hao
3. Quesada Perez, Yuniesky ½-½ Bu, Xiangzhi
4. Hernandez Carmenates, Holden ½-½ Zhou, Jianchao
Kamsky also scored on board 2 to give the U.S. a 2.5 – 1.5 win over Bulgaria.
1. Topalov, Veselin ½-½ Nakamura, Hikaru
2. Cheparinov, Ivan 0-1 Kamsky, Gata
3. Georgiev, Kiril ½-½ Onischuk, Alexander
4. Delchev, Aleksander ½-½ Shulman, Yuri
Full results here: http://www.ugra-chess.com/results.php?tmnt=1&rn=9
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar