So denies committing to play in SEAG
By Joey Villar (philstar.com) | Updated September 30, 2013 – 7:40pm

MANILA, Philippines – Chess Grandmaster Wesley So on Monday denied the National Chess Federation of the Philippines’ claim that he has given his word he’ll play in the 27th Southeast Asian Games from Dec. 12-22 in Naypyidaw, Myanmar.

“I was surprised to read that the NCFP was claiming I have agreed to play in the SEA Games,” said the 19-year-old So, who is currently ranked 34th in the FIDE world rankings with a rating of 2710.

“I haven’t confirmed or even talked to them, they should talk to me directly,” added So, who has athletic scholarship at US Division I chess champion Webster U.

So’s strong-armed response was a product of the failure of the NCFP as well as the Phl Olympic Committee and Phl Sports Commission to support or even recognize the former’s feat of copping an unprecedented gold medal in the 27th Summer Universiade in Kazan, Russia last July.

“Somehow I feel that my federation does not care about me or my goals,” said So, who will turned 20 on Oct. 9, on his Twitter account, @wesleySo93.

So, however, isn’t closing the door on a possible appearance in Myanmar.

“I’m not closing the door on playing in the SEA Games, but they should talk to me. So far they haven’t contacted me yet, everything I read [was] from the media,” he said.

So’s Webster U coach, five-time world women’s champion Susan Polgar, defended his student.

“He represented the RP in World Cup, Olympiad, World University…Never represented other countries. I don’t understand,” said Polgar on his Twitter handle, @SusanPolgar.

NCFP executive director Jayson Gonzales a few days ago said So is “under contract” to play in the SEA Games and all other tournaments approved by the POC.

Source: http://www.philstar.com 

Chess Daily News from Susan Polgar
Tags: , , ,
Share: 0