The 5th International Chess Tournament of Forni di Sopra took place from June 14th to 21st, 2014, in Forni di Sopra, part of the Friulian Dolomites Natural Park and one of the jewels of the Italian Alps.
The event consisted of three sections: Open A (9-round Swiss) for the players rated above 2000, Open B (8-round Swiss) for the players rated above 1600, and Open C for the lower rated players.
GM Aleksander Delchev of Bulgaria won the main group after edging GM Ni Hua of China on tie-break. Both players finished with 7,0/9 points. Ni Hua missed the first round but he fought his way back into the tournament.
Ukrainian legend GM Oleg Romanishin is clear third with 6,5 points. Full standings below.
The tournament was organized by the Accademia Internazionale di Scacchi, Circolo Scacchistico Udinese, ScacchiRandagi, FSI and Comune Forni di Sopra. The total prize fund was 10,000 EUR.
Open A final standings (top finishers):
1. GM Delchev Aleksander BUL 2638 – 7
2. GM Ni Hua CHN 2653 – 7
3. GM Romanishin Oleg M UKR 2487 – 6.5
4. GM Libiszewski Fabien FRA 2543 – 6
5. IM Valsecchi Alessio ITA 2407 – 6
6. GM Dvirnyy Danyyil ITA 2549 – 6
7. GM Naumkin Igor RUS 2427 – 6
8. IM Bruno Fabio ITA 2427 – 6
9. IM Bellia Fabrizio ITA 2393 – 6
10. GM Narciso Dublan Marc ESP 2538 – 6
11. WIM Congiu Mathilde FRA 2279 – 6
12. WGM Guichard Pauline FRA 2356 – 5.5
13. Sharapov Sanal RUS 2265 – 5.5
14. IM D’amore Carlo ITA 2492 – 5.5
15. WIM Brunello Marina ITA 2315 – 5.5
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar