After 5 rounds, Morozevich still maintains his clear lead at the 2008 Tal Memorial in Moscow. However, Mamedyarov and Ponomariov now join Ivanchuk in 2nd place with just 1/2 point behind the leader. With the loss to Shak, Kamsky is now next to the bottom. Shirov draws two straight games after opening the tournament with 3 straight losses.
Standings after 5 rounds:
1. Morozevich, Alexander g RUS 2788 3½
2. Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar g AZE 2742 3
3. Ponomariov, Ruslan g UKR 2718 3
4. Ivanchuk, Vassily g UKR 2781 3
5. Gelfand, Boris g ISR 2720 2½
6. Leko, Peter g HUN 2741 2½
7. Kramnik, Vladimir g RUS 2788 2½
8. Alekseev, Evgeny g RUS 2708 2
9. Kamsky, Gata g USA 2723 2
10. Shirov, Alexei g ESP 2741 1
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar