Narciso Rabell Mendez In Memoriam Open was held on 17-20th January at the Biblioteca Pública, San Sebastián de Las Vegas del Pepino, in Puerto Rico.
The event was organized by the San Sebastian Chess Club in two sections – Open and U2000.
The U2000 section was a 5-round Swiss with 27 players. Julio Guzman Freire (PUR 1855) took a clear first place with 4,5 points.
Open section final standings (top finishers):
1. GM Leon Hoyos Manuel MEX 2528 – 5.5
2. GM Corrales Jimenez Fidel FID 2568 – 5.5
3. GM Becerra Rivero Julio USA 2546 – 5.5
4. FM Almedina Ortiz Edgardo J. PUR 2277 – 4.5
5. IM Montalvo Rosario Alejandro PUR 2298 – 4.5
6. IM Sieiro Gonzalez Luis CUB 2323 – 4
7. Zilleruelo Irizarry Diego PUR 2043 – 4
8. FM Machin Rivera Mark PUR 2359 – 3.5
9. CM Colon Melendez Edgar PUR 2248 – 3.5
10. Guzman Ortiz Carlos M. PUR 2067 – 3.5
Sign up for my free email chess course for Beginners and Club Players. In this free course, I focus on helping beginner chess players see the entire board. You will learn how to attack your opponent from move 1 and create a new threat with every single move! I’ve created this series of lessons designed to help beginner and club level players understand the game at a deeper level so that you can start beating higher rated players immediately. Start getting free tips from me directly to your inbox!
– GM Susan Polgar